Subject: Re: bug#45652: so-long mode not triggered despite big file with very long lines

From: 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 07:04:30 +0800

PS> Emacs currently notices when you ask it to visit a very large
PS> file, and offers to let you open the file 'literally' which I
PS> would suggest trying if you are unsure of the contents.

PS> See (info "(emacs)Visiting")

PS> That's already a good way to improve performance in the buffer
PS> (with its own set of trade-offs), but adding a so-long option
PS> to that menu could be something to consider.

Yup, definitely add so-long mode to those choices. As even with
"literally" the problems come when the user hits ^S and searches within
possible long lines.

(Sure hope there is a "?" or "C-h" choice there too to describe what
each choice does too.)

PS> You could always configure Emacs to open all .har files in
PS> so-long-mode, if this is the only way you encounter them?

Any archive format that that day has some nasty file at the bottom of it
will have the same problem.

PS> It's definitely in 27.1, if so-long.el is loaded.  It's a function.
PS> "C-h o so-long-detected-long-line-p" should find it.

I see. I was still using C-h v as today is the first time I heard of C-h o.