Subject: [bug#45644] closed (Re: [bug#45644] [PATCH] gnu: esbuild: Update to 0.8.29.)

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2021 18:02:54 +0100

via,

Ryan Prior via Guix-patches via 写道：
> git send-email --to=[email-masked] --suppress-cc=self 
> 0001-gnu-esbuild-Update-to-0.8.29.patch

I (and many others) use git send-email, so it can't be directly to 
blame.  I've never used it with an explicit patch file like that, 
though, only ‘-<n>’, but that should change little.

You shouldn't bother too much with Mailgun & the like, this has 
nothing to do with Protonmail.

> So I have to imagine that either Protonmail or your email server 
> are changing the email address.

Looks like us.  It's by design.  Mailing lists *have to* change 
email addresses now.  If gnu.org sent out mail to mi^Whundreds of 
Guix users claiming to be directly from you:

  From: Ryan Prior <[email-masked]>

it would amount to a poor forgery in this age of DMARC & DKIM. 
We'd be spamholed into oblivion by every recipient who doesn't go 
through extra (manual/heuristic) trouble to whitelist known MLs. 
And rightly so.

So instead we munge the From header[0], with a note to make 
receivers aware of that fact:

  From: Ryan Prior via Guix-patches via <[email-masked]>
  Resent-From: Ryan Prior <[email-masked]>

But this happens to every mail we resend, not only yours:

  From: Leo Famulari <leo@xxx>
  Resent-From: Leo Famulari <leo@xxx>

I can't say what went wrong, only that I routinely apply patches 
from Guix MLs through mu4e and ‘git am’ without trouble.  I think. 
The last ~dozen patches signed off by me seem fine, at least.

Leo, does this happen to any guix-patch@ or just Ryan's?

> I don't know if it's possible with the commit-signing system you 
> have in place to rewrite Guix repo history, or whether it would 
> be worth it,

No and no.  Sorry.

We also can't use .mailmap to rewrite the user-facing address. 
We'd be mapping all of [email-masked] to you.

I can't think of a way to fix the past.  It's unfortunate, but 
we'll live.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[0]: We (Mailman?) get this part wrong, however: ‘Fu Barian via 
<[email-masked]>’ looks cute, but it abuses the format & clutters 
address books everywhere with the bogus name ‘Fu Barian via’.