Subject: bug#45633: bcc and bpftrace require kernel headers from system

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2021 22:40:17 +0100

John,

This reminds me of <http://issues.guix.gnu.org/45592>.

John Soo 写道：
> Hi Guix,
>
> When I added bcc and bpftrace to guix I didn't think much of 
> which
> version of the kernel headers would be used.  After a few kernel
> updates, it has become clear that the current-system kernel 
> headers need

This should probably be booted-system.

> to match the kernel headers the packages are compiled with.  Can 
> they be
> provided with a variant property?  The ocaml packages that need
> different ocaml versions seem like a nice model on how to do the 
> kernel
> headers.

I know exact kernel headers are needed at toolchain run time, when 
building eBPF programmes.  Are they really needed at toolchain 
build time, too?  That sounds wrong (but there are more things 
fundamentally wrong with eBPF on Linux; ask me to rant about 
CONFIG_IKHEADERS).  Still, could pointing bcc/bpftrace to 
booted-system headers at run time not suffice?

Kind regards,

T G-R