Subject: bug#45633: bcc and bpftrace require kernel headers from system

From: John Soo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2021 10:10:10 -0800

Hi Tobias,

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]> writes:

> John,
>
> This reminds me of <http://issues.guix.gnu.org/45592>.

Hm, maybe. How does it remind you of zfs? It seems like zfs needs the
libraries from util-linux, right? bcc and bpftrace need the kernel
headers. The following should illustrate there is nothing to load
dynamically, right?

find $(guix build linux-libre-headers) -name '*.\.so*'

> This should probably be booted-system.

Yes, definitely, thanks. s/current-system/booted-system/

> I know exact kernel headers are needed at toolchain run time, when
> building eBPF programmes.  Are they really needed at toolchain 
> build time, too?

I am not sure what the headers are used for but they are indeed the .h
files (tree $(guix build linux-libre-headers)).  I would assume they are
used by the gcc-toolchain when compiling the package as #includes.

What do you think?

- John