Subject: [bug#45632] [PATCH] guix package: Warn if uses has 'guix' package in profile.

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2021 18:56:36 +0100

Hi Tobias,

On Thu, 7 Jan 2021 at 18:23, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice via Guix-patches
via <[email-masked]> wrote:

> How about warning on pull instead?  That should address the ‘halp,
> me Guix be Benjamin Buttonin'’ support calls that I assume
> inspired this.

Wait, does someone install packages in the profile
"~/.config/guix/current"?  And does they install the package 'guix' in
this profile?  Nan...

> Simon, would that reduce the noise in your case?

I am not sure to understand what the problem is; I should miss
something.  My config is simply '~/.config/guix/current/bin' first in
my PATH and I am doing it manually with ~/.bash_profile.  And I have a
lot of profiles that are sourced with a for-loop, some of them contain
the package 'guix'.  And I have never hit an issue but I do not use
'upgrade'.  Howver, I am mainly using Guix on Debian.  Is the issue
Guix System specific?

Well, if the conflict is between the package 'guix' and the 'upgrade'
command, then the warning should be there, IMHO.

All the best,
simon