Subject: bug#45625: C-p (previous-line) now wipes out windows, if misaimed

From: 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2021 22:03:25 +0800

Just the other day I noticed windows disappearing. It turns out that
"ESC ESC ESC" has been made even more super powered, by adding "or go
back to just one window (by deleting all but the selected window)" to
the many things it does.

Well it turns out ESC is also ^[.
And p is next to [ on many keyboards.
So ^p is next to ^[.
And ^p is/was the main way to do previous-line (go up).
So if your fingers aren't aimed correctly, then holding down CTRL+P will
not send the cursor marching up the screen, but will instead wipe out
your other windows!

Try it. Hold down ^[.

All your other windows will go away.

(When you finally release your finger, in the minibuffer you might see
"ESC-" or "ESC ESC-" or nothing at all, depending if you hit e.g., 31,
32, or 33 mis-aimed ^P's.)

Conclusion: keyboard-escape-quit should not also delete other windows.
There is already C-x 1 (delete-other-windows) for that!

Yes, one could just say "Start using the arrow keys instead of ^p for
crying out loud." But for older users it is too late for that.

emacs-version "27.1"