Subject: Re: bug#45620: 28.0.50; Child frames should have their own border width and colour

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2021 10:42:18 +0100

> Is there some simple test I can try? I had a quick look through the
 > thread but didn't see anything.

Please with emacs -Q define

(defun my-make-child-frame ()
   (interactive)
   (make-frame
    `((parent-frame . ,(selected-frame))
      (undecorated . t)
      (left . 0.5)
      (top . 0.5)
      (width . 0.3)
      (height . 0.3)
      (internal-border-width . 3))))

then do

(setq frame (my-make-child-frame))

and finally perform the following two experiments:

(1) Customize the background of the faces 'internal-border' and
'child-frame-border'.  Only customizing the latter should affect the
child frame.

(2) Do

(set-frame-parameter frame 'internal-border-width 7)
(set-frame-parameter frame 'child-frame-border-width 1)

Either of them should change the border width of the child frame as
indicated.  If you now do

(set-frame-parameter nil 'internal-border-width 5)

with your normal frame selected, that frame's internal border width
should change but the child frame's border width should remain
unaltered.

 > (GNUstep builds work for me as long as I start with a .emacs that
 > turns off the menus. I can't work out what it is that's causing the
 > problem, and even the large rewrite of some of the menu code we did on
 > the master branch makes no difference. It's quite annoying.)

I'll try turning menus off the next time.  But the number of warnings
when building has by now exceeded any reasonable limit.  I can no more
see the wood for the trees

Thanks, martin