Subject: bug#4562: 23.1; Customize State button problems

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 11:37:07 -0700

emacs -Q
 
1. M-x customize-option default-frame-alist
 
The State text says "CHANGED outside Customize; operating on it here
may be unreliable.", which is untrue. This is immediately after using
`emacs -Q'.
 
2. Not only that, but the State menu shows `Undo Edits', even though
nothing has ever been edited.
 
3. If you in fact choose `Undo Edits', nothing happens, and `Undo
Edits' remains active in the State menu.
 
4. If you edit, e.g. click a DEL button, and then Set for Current
Session, and then you click `Reset to Backup', then the message says
"CHANGED outside Customize; operating on it here may be unreliable."
Again, this is incorrect - nothing was changed outside Customize.
 
In general, the State menu and its messages are pretty messed up.  It
is quite confusing and error prone.  Customize is supposed to be,
among other things, intended for non-Lisper novice users.  It's no
wonder that so many hate it or give up in disbelief or
incomprehension.

In GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2009-07-29 on SOFT-MJASON
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.4)'