Subject: Re: bug#45605: [macos] could not load dump file - more info

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2021 17:01:36 +0200

> From: Pankaj Jangid <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>,  Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,
>   [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2021 11:27:40 +0530
> 
> 1. If you notice at the beginning of ‘build_error.log’ the cleanup ‘rm’
> commands are missing; even though I used ‘make bootstrap’.

I suggest to find out what are the prerequisites for these commands,
and then try to understand why they don't always run.

> 2. To my surprise, ‘make -C ../admin/charsets all’ outputs “Nothing to
> be done” in case of successful build. I thought ‘make bootstraps’
> deletes everything and then starts configure/make.

This is expected: "make bootstrap" doesn't everything.  You need "make
extraclean" or somesuch to do that.

> 3. Same was the case with ‘make -C ../admin/grammers’ and a few other
> directories.

Likewise.

> 4. Lots of charset reloading seen in ‘build_error.log’. That did not
> happen in  ‘build_clean.log’.

Expected, because they existed before the build.

> 5. First ELC command, after emacs binary is built, produces
> error. Perhaps because the binary and pdmp fingerprint mismatch.

I suspect some problem related to src/macuvs.h and its generation
during the build.