Subject: bug#45584: closed (Re: [bug#45584] [PATCH 0/2] system: image: Fix root fs corruption from certain u-boot.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2021 15:17:02 +0000

Your bug report

#45584: [PATCH 0/2] system: image: Fix root fs corruption from certain u-boot.

which was filed against the guix-patches package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
45584: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=45584
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: [bug#45584] [PATCH 0/2] system: image: Fix root fs corruption from certain u-boot.
From: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
To: Caliph Nomble <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2021 16:16:36 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

> Sorry for the late response. I just got a chance to test on a pinebook-pro, and
> was able to use a generated image on it. Screen wouldn't turn on but I got a
> functioning shell on serial; I was still just using mainline
> linux-libre-arm64-generic so I don't think that's a bootloader problem.

Many thanks for testing. I pushed the patch I proposed.

> Over the past few days I've been playing with u-boot, and I think that the
> install offset may be configurable, with the current offset just being used for
> compatability with Rockchip's proprietary miniloader. I could make a patchset
> to move u-boot up and test it out on the pinebook-pro and rockpro64, if that
> would be a better solution?

Sure that could be nice and in that case we could revert the 9MiB offset
change in gnu/system/image/pinebook-pro.scm.

I also found that janneke used some kernel-arguments that could maybe
help you in this blog post:
https://joyofsource.com/guix-system-on-the-pinebook-pro.html.

Closing this one,

Thanks,

Mathieu

Subject: [PATCH 0/2] system: image: Fix root fs corruption from certain u-boot.
From: Caliph Nomble <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2020 23:34:01 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

u-boot for pretty much every rockchip system supported installs to an offset of
8MB, which is currently in the middle of generated disk images' root
filesystems. This patchset adds another disk-image option for devices that
require a larger root offset, and configures the pinebook-pro image to use it.

I chose a 9MB offset by adding the previous root offset of 1MB to the
additional 8MB offset required. I know at least u-boot-rockpro64-rk3399 doesn't
build to over 1MB in size, so it should be fine? Feel free to change the
specific offset used.

Thanks!