Subject: bug#45582: 28: auto-fill final line of indented paragraph

From: Boruch Baum <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2021 07:25:21 -0500

n 2021-01-01 09:12, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2020 18:23:25 -0500
> > From: Boruch Baum <[email-masked]>
>
> You are in Lisp Interaction mode, which has its own indentation rules.
> Try this in Fundamental mode, and you will see the behavior you
> expect, I think.
>
> IOW, I don't think there's a bug here. But if there is a bug, please
> tell what behavior you expected and why.

The default contents of the scratch buffer read: "This buffer is for
text that is not saved ..." so any newcomer to emacs gets the indication
that _text_ typed here will be treated as text (and yes lisp typed here
will be treated as lisp), and people expect text paragraphs not to have
their final line be out-dented *after* completion. Any newcomer to emacs
will clearly consider this a bug. I also do consider it a bug.

> To investigate this further, note that electric-indent-mode is ON

That speaks to the choice of how to classify the bug, not whether it is
a bug. Maybe you'll consider it a bug in that mode, or in auto-fill
mode, or in lisp-interaction-mode, or in the setup of the scratch
buffer, or in the relationship between those three modes, or in the
default comment of that buffer, or in something else. I don't have a
suggestion either way, only the observation that the behavior is
unexpected, counter-intuitive, and annoying.

--
hkp://keys.gnupg.net
CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1  7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0