Subject: bug#45574: closed (Re: bug#45574: Guile 3 fails to build non-deterministically)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2024 07:26:02 +0000

Your bug report

#45574: Guile 3 fails to build non-deterministically

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
45574: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=45574
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#45574: Guile 3 fails to build non-deterministically
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2024 09:20:38 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Chris Marusich <[email-masked]> skribis:

> If you try to build Guile 3 without substitutes using any recent version
> of Guix, it can frequently fail.  I had to try about 12 times
> in a row before it succeeded.  The failure simply said "FAIL:
> check-guile" - I didn't save the build logs, which were lost once the
> build succeeded.  If anyone is interested in debugging, it should be
> easy to reproduce.  Just do this:
>
> - Run Guix in a 1-core VM or a similarly slow x86_64-linux system.
>
> - Try to build any recent version of Guile 3 using any recent version of
>   Guix.
>
> I've seen the failures happen for Guile 3.0.2 and Guile 3.0.4.  I
> observed this on a 1-core VM, so perhaps a slow system exacerbates this
> bug.  This can make running "guix pull" without substitutes tedious,
> since you have to manually retry many times.

I don’t think that applies to 3.0.9, or at least I haven’t seen any such
failures or reports thereof.  Closing!

Ludo’.

Subject: Guile 3 fails to build non-deterministically
From: Chris Marusich <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2020 11:16:40 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

If you try to build Guile 3 without substitutes using any recent version
of Guix, it can frequently fail.  I had to try about 12 times
in a row before it succeeded.  The failure simply said "FAIL:
check-guile" - I didn't save the build logs, which were lost once the
build succeeded.  If anyone is interested in debugging, it should be
easy to reproduce.  Just do this:

- Run Guix in a 1-core VM or a similarly slow x86_64-linux system.

- Try to build any recent version of Guile 3 using any recent version of
  Guix.

I've seen the failures happen for Guile 3.0.2 and Guile 3.0.4.  I
observed this on a 1-core VM, so perhaps a slow system exacerbates this
bug.  This can make running "guix pull" without substitutes tedious,
since you have to manually retry many times.

-- 
Chris