Subject: bug#45560: closed (Re: bug#45560: 27.1; add-change-log-entry erroneously removes "const" from function name)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2021 20:43:01 +0000

Your bug report

#45560: 27.1; add-change-log-entry erroneously removes "const" from function name

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
45560: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=45560
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#45560: 27.1; add-change-log-entry erroneously removes "const" from function name
From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
To: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>, Tom Tromey <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2021 20:42:07 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello, Lars and Tom.

On Sat, Jan 02, 2021 at 06:42:07 +0100, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]> writes:

> > Please try the following patch out, which shouldn't be at all
> > controversial, and let me know whether it fixes everything.  Thanks!

> Yup; your patch fixes the test case here, too.

Thanks!  I've committed the patch, and I'm closing the bug with this
post.

> -- 
> (domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
>    bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

Subject: 27.1; add-change-log-entry erroneously removes "const" from function name
From: Tom Tromey <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2020 16:11:41 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Put this into a .c file:

void
const_ref ()
{
}

Now, put point inside the braces and M-x add-change-log-entry.

For me the resulting ChangeLog looks like:

2020-12-30  Tom Tromey  <[email-masked]>

	* q.c (_ref): 

Note that the "const" was removed.
However, it should not be removed here, as it is part of the function's
name.

In GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.21, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2020-08-20 built on buildvm-x86-24.iad2.fedoraproject.org
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.12010000
System Description: Fedora 32 (Workstation Edition)

Recent messages:
Saving file /tmp/q.c...
Wrote /tmp/q.c
Quit
C-c a runs the command tromey-add-change-log-entry
Undo [3 times]
Redo [2 times]
C-x C-g is undefined
Quit
Scanning for dabbrevs...done
user-error: No dynamic expansion for ‘add-changelo’ found

Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-gpm=no --with-xwidgets --with-modules --with-harfbuzz
 --with-cairo --with-json build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g
 -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong
 -grecord-gcc-switches -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1 -m64 -mtune=generic
 -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection'
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF
ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS XWIDGETS
LIBSYSTEMD JSON PDUMPER GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Change Log

Minor modes in effect:
  flyspell-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  erc-services-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: do-auto-fill
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/tromey/.emacs.d/elpa/bubbles-0.5/bubbles hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/play/bubbles

Features:
(shadow mail-hist emacsbug flow-fill tcl shr-color mm-archive sh-script
smie executable rect copyright dabbrev goto-addr ggtags hippie-exp etags
fileloop generator xref project bug-reference smerge-mode diff cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds term/xterm xterm apropos mule-diag
descr-text sort smiley gnus-cite mail-extr gnus-bcklg gnus-async qp
gnus-ml disp-table gnus-topic nndraft nnmh nnfolder utf-7 gnutls
network-stream nsm gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual
gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig nntp
gnus-cache gnus-sum url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history mailcap shr url-cookie url-domsuf url-util svg xml dom
gnus-group gnus-undo smtpmail sendmail gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap
nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message
rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg
epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums text-property-search
mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr two-column iso-transl help-fns radix-tree
log-view pcvs-util vc-mtn vc-hg cl-extra help-mode vc-git diff-mode
vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs misearch multi-isearch
add-log flyspell ispell diminish projectile ibuf-macs pcase edmacro
kmacro grep compile ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs dash appt
diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs tramp
tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell
pcomplete parse-time iso8601 time-date ls-lisp which-func imenu minimap
autorevert filenotify cus-start cus-load erc-track erc-match
erc-services erc-networks erc-hl-nicks easy-mmode color erc-button
erc-fill erc-stamp wid-edit erc-goodies erc erc-backend erc-compat
format-spec thingatpt pp erc-loaddefs warnings advice vc-dir ewoc vc
vc-dispatcher cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs ange-ftp
comint ansi-color ring server savehist finder-inf gdb-shell-autoloads
lisppaste-autoloads pydoc-info-autoloads info-look info cl
weblogger-autoloads package easymenu browse-url url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting xwidget-internal cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1344143 98632)
 (symbols 48 71080 17)
 (strings 32 190276 19842)
 (string-bytes 1 6368664)
 (vectors 16 83075)
 (vector-slots 8 2440137 207780)
 (floats 8 448 669)
 (intervals 56 185659 164)
 (buffers 1000 464))