Subject: bug#45557: 27.1; Incorrect rendering of COMBINING OVERLINE

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2020 06:24:30 +0100

Stephen Eglen <[email-masked]> writes:

> In brief: x̅ does not appear as x with an overline in the JuliaMono font.
>
> emacs -Q
>
> (set-face-attribute 'default nil :font "JuliaMono")
>
> (insert 611 773 32 120 773)

I'm unable to reproduce this in Emacs 27.1 on Debian bullseye:

This is with:

In GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.23)
 of 2020-12-14 built on xo
Repository revision: 86d8d76aa36037184db0b2897c434cdaab1a9ae8
Repository branch: HEAD
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12008000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid

Which is quite similar to your build:

In GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.22, cairo version 1.17.3)
 of 2020-08-28 built on juergen
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12010000
System Description: Manjaro Linux

Let's see...  the main difference seems to be that my 27.1 build is
without cairo?

Nope, even when building with cairo, I'm not able to reproduce this.  So
my guess would be that a font library in your distribution has a bug in
this area?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no