Subject: Re: bug#45557: 27.1; Incorrect rendering of COMBINING OVERLINE

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2021 16:16:48 +0200

> Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2021 11:40:31 +0530 (IST)
> Cc: [email-masked]
> From: Madhu <[email-masked]>
> 
> *  Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
> Wrote on Wed, 06 Jan 2021 18:10:29 +0200
> >> From: Madhu <[email-masked]>
> >> > Anyway, I see no Emacs problems in your description, only font
> >> > problems.  The text you sent is displayed correctly on my system, both
> >> > of its lines.
> Can you try using a font with emacs which does not compose the x and
> overbar?

I already did.  The results are as I'd expect: the characters are
rendered separately.

> >> I assume the mswindows and applemac systems dont pull in harfbuzz?
> > No, the Windows build does use HarfBuzz.
> Whatever is doing the visual composition of x + overbar (when emacs is
> explicitly asked not to do it by turning auto-composition-mode off) -
> it isn't harfbuzz.  It happens on an emacs (--without-all) which links
> to freetype without harfbuzz/cairo (and even when emacs isn't using m17n-lib)
> Very puzzling.

Indeed.