Subject: 27.1; Incorrect rendering of COMBINING OVERLINE

From: Stephen Eglen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2020 13:42:40 +0000

In brief: x̅ does not appear as x with an overline in the JuliaMono font.

emacs -Q

(set-face-attribute 'default nil :font "JuliaMono")

(insert 611 773 32 120 773)

ɣ̅ x̅

should generate a gamma and x, both with overline.

gamma is overlined, but not x.

Checking with JuliaMono author, this does not seem to be a font issue:

https://github.com/cormullion/juliamono/issues/87

This has been confirmed by a harfbuzz maintainer, where you can see
detailed discussion.  It was suggested there to report this as an Emacs
bug, which I am now doing.

https://github.com/harfbuzz/harfbuzz/discussions/2790

Thanks, Stephen

----------------------------------------------------------------------
In GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.22, cairo version 1.17.3)
 of 2020-08-28 built on juergen
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12010000
System Description: Manjaro Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft --with-wide-int
 --with-modules --with-cairo --with-harfbuzz 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64
 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD JSON
PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Image[png]

Minor modes in effect:
  pdf-occur-global-minor-mode: t
  global-magit-file-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  global-edit-server-edit-mode: t
  csv-field-index-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  straight-use-package-mode: t
  straight-package-neutering-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/stephen/.emacs.d/straight/build/csv-mode/csv-mode hides ~/langs/emacs/elisp-ds/csv-mode
~/langs/emacs/elisp-ds/emaxima/maxima-font-lock hides ~/langs/emacs/maxima-font-lock
~/langs/emacs/elisp-ds/emaxima/maxima hides ~/langs/emacs/maxima
~/langs/emacs/mspools hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/mail/mspools
/home/stephen/.emacs.d/straight/build/let-alist/let-alist hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/emacs-lisp/let-alist

Features:
(shell-toggle man locate shadow emacsbug descr-text cursor-sensor vc-mtn
vc-hg vc-git vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs macros misearch
multi-isearch dired-aux gnus-dired vc vc-dispatcher shr-color timezone
iso-transl gnus-cite smiley qp mm-archive mail-extr view mu4e desktop
frameset mu4e-org mu4e-main mu4e-view mu4e-headers mu4e-mark mule-util
hl-line windswap windmove windswap-autoloads list-unicode-display
list-unicode-display-autoloads shackle trace shackle-autoloads
visual-fill-column visual-fill-column-autoloads lua-mode
lua-mode-autoloads hugo-autoloads org-recoll yesterbox-autoloads
package-lint finder lisp-mnt package-lint-autoloads
docker-tramp-autoloads docker-tramp tramp-cache dockerfile-mode s
sh-script smie executable dockerfile-mode-autoloads yaml-mode
yaml-mode-autoloads vterm-toggle tramp-sh tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver
tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat ls-lisp vterm-toggle-autoloads
vterm face-remap term disp-table ehelp vterm-module vterm-autoloads
keychain-environment keychain-environment-autoloads sje-exwm exwm-randr
xcb-randr exwm-config exwm-systemtray xcb-systemtray xcb-xembed exwm
exwm-input xcb-keysyms xcb-xkb exwm-manage exwm-floating xcb-cursor
xcb-render exwm-layout exwm-workspace exwm-core xcb-ewmh xcb-icccm xcb
xcb-xproto xcb-types xcb-debug exwm-autoloads xelb-autoloads zygospore
zygospore-autoloads moody moody-autoloads solarized-light-theme
solarized-theme solarized solarized-faces solarized-theme-autoloads
pdf-occur ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs tablist tablist-filter
semantic/wisent/comp semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent
semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex
semantic/fw mode-local cedet pdf-isearch let-alist pdf-misc pdf-tools
cus-edit cus-start cus-load pdf-view magit-bookmark bookmark pp
pdf-cache pdf-info tq pdf-util pdf-tools-autoloads let-alist-autoloads
tablist-autoloads magit-submodule magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash
magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone
magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree
magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs
magit-status magit package url-handlers magit-repos magit-apply
magit-wip magit-log which-func imenu magit-diff smerge-mode diff
diff-mode magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify magit-margin
magit-transient magit-process magit-mode git-commit transient magit-git
magit-section magit-utils log-edit pcvs-util add-log with-editor
async-bytecomp async dash magit-autoloads git-commit-autoloads
with-editor-autoloads transient-autoloads dash-autoloads async-autoloads
edit-server edit-server-autoloads poly-R poly-noweb ess-r-mode
ess-r-flymake flymake-proc flymake warnings ess-r-xref xref ess-trns
ess-r-package ess-r-completion ess-roxy ess-r-syntax ess-rd ess-s-lang
ess-help ess-mode ess-inf project ess-tracebug compile poly-R-autoloads
poly-noweb-autoloads poly-markdown markdown-mode rx polymode poly-lock
polymode-base polymode-weave polymode-export polymode-compat
polymode-methods polymode-core polymode-classes eieio-custom eieio-base
color poly-markdown-autoloads polymode-autoloads ess-knitr
markdown-mode-autoloads org-mu4e mu4e-compose mu4e-context mu4e-draft
mu4e-actions mu4e-message flow-fill mu4e-proc mu4e-utils doc-view
jka-compr image-mode exif mu4e-lists mu4e-vars mu4e-meta rfc2368
smtpmail sendmail midnight org-agenda mu4e-icalendar gnus-icalendar
org-capture gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum
url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history mailcap shr
url-cookie url-domsuf url-util svg dom browse-url gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo
parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message rmc puny
dired-x dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg
epg-config mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs text-property-search mail-utils mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums
mail-prsvr gmm-utils icalendar diary-lib diary-loaddefs csv-mode sort
csv-mode-autoloads ob-latex ob-ditaa ob-dot ob-shell shell ob-R recentf
tree-widget wid-edit ox-beamer ox-odt rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse
rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns nxml-enc xmltok
nxml-util ox-latex ox-icalendar ox-html table ox-ascii ox-publish ox
org-element org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table org-macro
org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list
org-faces org-entities time-date org-version ob-emacs-lisp org-table
org-keys org-loaddefs find-func avl-tree generator ol ob-exp ob-core
org-compat ob-eval org-macs format-spec server hideshow-org hideshow
cc-vars cc-defs ess ess-utils ess-custom ess-autoloads
julia-repl-autoloads s-autoloads julia-mode comint ansi-color ring
julia-mode-latexsubs julia-mode-autoloads fm emacs-keys paren ido move
ff-paths cl ffap thingatpt url-parse auth-source eieio eieio-core
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map url-vars my-tex tex dbus xml crm
auctex-autoloads tex-site finder-inf my-elisp time-stamp my-c
tempo-examples tempo others-elisp cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
mailabbrev benchmark-init advice benchmark-init-autoloads
use-package-ensure cl-seq use-package-core use-package-autoloads
bind-key-autoloads straight-autoloads info cl-extra help-mode easymenu
seq byte-opt straight subr-x cl-macs gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv
outlines edmacro kmacro cl-loaddefs cl-lib noutline outline easy-mmode
time tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 760591 140616)
 (symbols 48 84280 1)
 (strings 32 297932 8875)
 (string-bytes 1 9266510)
 (vectors 16 106532)
 (vector-slots 8 2940584 207654)
 (floats 8 1223 536)
 (intervals 56 22449 4880)
 (buffers 1000 60))