Subject: 27.1; Unexpected behavior of `tab-bar-show' variable

From: Marcel Ventosa <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2020 21:44:19 +0700

Hello,

I may be misunderstanding the purpose of the `tab-bar-show' variable.

Expected behavior
=================

If tab-bar-show = 1, Tab Bar is not visible when less than two tabs are
available.

If tab-bar-show = nil, Tab Bar is never visible

If tab-bar-show = t, Tab Bar is always visible

In addition, I would like to be able to change the value of
tab-bar-show to toggle the visibility of the Tab Bar (I don't want to
disable the mode, only hide the Tab Bar).

Actual behavior and recipe
==========================

Run "emacs -q", switch to *scratch* and evaluate the following, in
order:

(tab-bar-mode)
;; tab bar is shown on top of buffer
(setq tab-bar-show 1)
;; no change. Maybe we need to toggle the mode to effect changes?
(tab-bar-mode 0)
;; bar disappears
(tab-bar-mode)
;; bar still reappears with only one tab
;; expected behavior: tab bar remains hidden because only one tab exists
(tab-bar-new-tab)
;; two tabs exist and are visible
(tab-bar-close-tab)
;; only one tab is left, tab bar is hidden
(tab-bar-mode)
;; turn mode off again
(setq tab-bar-show nil)
;; no bar should be visible if I turn tab-bar-mode on again
(tab-bar-mode)
;; tab bar is still visible even with the variable set to nil

Best regards,

Marcel

In GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.22,
cairo version 1.17.3) of 2020-08-29 built on juergen
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version
11.0.12010000 System Description: Arch Linux

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft --with-wide-int
 --with-modules --with-cairo --with-harfbuzz 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64
 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD JSON
PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/xscheme hides
/usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/progmodes/xscheme

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search time-date
subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 48049 7619)
 (symbols 48 6063 1)
 (strings 32 16016 1561)
 (string-bytes 1 513429)
 (vectors 16 10137)
 (vector-slots 8 130537 9788)
 (floats 8 19 43)
 (intervals 56 236 0)
 (buffers 1000 13))