Subject: Re: bug#45556: 27.1; Unexpected behavior of `tab-bar-show' variable

From: Marcel Ventosa <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2021 11:04:29 +0700

Hi Juri,

Thank you for your response! After your detailed explanation I was able
to set things up the way I want, though I still have a question below
inline. 

I was also unaware of the differences between setting a variable with
'setq' and 'customize-set-variable'. 

This was not a bug after all. But would it be useful to mention in the
doc string that the variable's behavior will be different if modified
by setq? Or is this already common knowledge? 

Best regards,

Marcel

On Tue, 05 Jan 2021 20:43:48 +0200
Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> wrote:

> So there are two levels: at high level you can customize
> 'tab-bar-show', and tab commands do the right thing.
> 
> If you want more control, then you can use 'tab-bar-mode'.
> Or if you want to enable/disable the tab bar individually
> on each new frame, then you can use such configuration:
> 
>   (add-hook 'after-make-frame-functions 'toggle-frame-tab-bar)

Somehow reading a function name "toggle-tab-bar-mode..." my
understanding is that such a function would enable and disable tab-bar
functionality itself, rather than only show and hide the bar. I see
now that toggling the 'tab-bar-mode' minor mode also does not
enable/disable the tab-bar functionality, but rather seems to just
toggle the actual bar. Is this correct? If so, what is the difference
between 'toggle-tab-bar-mode-from-frame' and 'tab-bar-mode'. Both of
them seem to toggle the tab bar in _all_ frames.