Subject: bug#45552: 28.0.50; bootstrap-emacs apparently not correctly codesigned

From: Philipp <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2020 14:10:46 +0100

The following happens for me (on macOS Big Sur on ARM 64, which needs
codesigning) pretty frequently: every time Emacs needs to re-dump as
part of `make', the code signature for bootstrap-emacs is somehow
invalid.  For example:

$ ./config.status
[...]
$ gmake
[...]
/bin/sh: line 3: 18759 Killed: 9               EMACSLOADPATH= '../src/bootstrap-emacs' -batch --no-site-file --no-site-lisp -l autoload --eval "(setq generate-autoload-cookie \";;;###diary-autoload\")" --eval "(setq generated-autoload-file (expand-file-name (unmsys--file-name \"calendar/diary-loaddefs.el\")))" -f batch-update-autoloads ./calendar
[...]
$ src/bootstrap-emacs 
Killed: 9

The crash reports for these crashes say

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (Code Signature Invalid)
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000032, 0x0000000104098000
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Reason:    Namespace CODESIGNING, Code 0x2

However, `codesign' thinks the signature is valid:

$ codesign -v -v src/bootstrap-emacs
src/bootstrap-emacs: valid on disk
src/bootstrap-emacs: satisfies its Designated Requirement

Removing src/bootstrap-emacs and running `gmake' again fixes the issue
(until the next re-dump).

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 28, aarch64-apple-darwin20.2.0, NS appkit-2022.20 Version 11.1 (Build 20C69))
 of 2020-12-29
Repository revision: 90bd3b3d69d40339127b4744c459cedb7eb962b0
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2022
System Description:  macOS 11.1

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --without-xml2 --without-pop --with-mailutils
 --enable-gcc-warnings=warn-only --enable-checking=all
 --enable-check-lisp-object-type 'CFLAGS=-ggdb3 -O0''

Configured features:
PNG NOTIFY KQUEUE ACL GNUTLS ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS XIM NS MODULES
THREADS JSON PDUMPER LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc dired dired-loaddefs rfc822
mml easymenu mml-sec epa epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils phst skeleton derived edmacro kmacro pcase ffap
thingatpt url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map url-vars
mailcap rx gnutls puny dbus xml subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv compile text-property-search comint ansi-color ring
cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize
mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns lcms2
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 70992 6262)
 (symbols 48 8581 1)
 (strings 32 24358 1310)
 (string-bytes 1 794668)
 (vectors 16 14985)
 (vector-slots 8 206069 5818)
 (floats 8 26 28)
 (intervals 56 209 0)
 (buffers 984 10))