Subject: bug#45521: 13.0.0; C-c C-c gives "Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p, nil"

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2020 10:27:26 +0100

Uwe Siart <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Uwe,

> edebug is something that I never used before. But I'm reading the docs
> and if I manage to get something out of it, I'll let you know.

It's not too hard.  Here's a minimal recipe.

  1. C-h f TeX-active-master-with-quotes RET

  2. Hit RET on the file name link to go to where that function is
     defined.

  3. Set point somewhere on the function, e.g., its name and do
     M-x edebug-defun RET.

  4. Now execute the command triggering the error.  A window will pop up
     showing the file where the edebugged function is defined, and point
     is always before the sexp being evaluated next.

  5. By pressing `n' you can evaluate the current sexp, the result will
     be printed, and evaluation (and point) moves to the next sexp.  So
     just keep on pressing `n' until you get the error and report back
     where it broke.

Thereafte, set point after the function and do C-x C-e.  That will
remove the debugging instrumentation so that you won't pause and be put
into the edebugger whenever that function is called.

> This is what I can report so far:
>
> - `M-x list-load-path-shadows RET' does not list any paths

Hm, too bad.  That would have been a problem easy to fix.

> - I've tried with Emacs 27.1 in its "virgin" state by making my .emacs
> completely empty and by just having nothing but the four lines to load
> AUCTeX in my site-start.el ... the error remains.

Argh, so probably something windows-specific.

Bye,
Tassilo