Subject: bug#45518: Ctrl-G Fails to Interrupt Hung Tramp Remote-Compile in Emacs 27.1

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 19:33:59 +0100

Duncan Greatwood <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Duncan,

> Any case, one thing at a time.
>
> I did manage to collect a traces file with emacs -Q.
> I clicked on error message during compile, and compile-in-tramp
> session hung. I ctrl-G-ed out, compilation continued for a while until
> emacs as a whole crashed, with compilation ongoing until that moment.
>
> Traces enclosed.

Just an interim report. I've worked over the last days on the problem.

I gave up the idea to instrument compile-goto-error. The point is that
other packages trust on this function as well, like rgrep. Disabling it
while rgrep runs is a much too heavy limitation.

Tests have shown, that Emacs 25 with the built-in Tramp 2.2.3 does not
show the problem. I'm bisecting Tramp in order to find what has
triggered the regression. That's not so easy, because not all Emacs and
Tramp versions do cooperate. Compatibility issues.

However, I believe the problem didn't exist in Tramp 2.3.1; Tramp 2.3.2
shows the regression. Compatibility issues hinder me to bisect better,
so I have started to compare both code bases. I hope to find the problem
this way, and I hope to fix it then for you and the other Tramp users.

> Duncan.

Stay tuned, and best regards, Michael.