Subject: Re: bug#45518: Ctrl-G Fails to Interrupt Hung Tramp Remote-Compile in Emacs 27.1

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 16:40:37 +0100

Duncan Greatwood <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Michael -

Hi Duncan,

> There is still one tramp hanging issue I saw in my testing. This is a
> much less serious issue (pressing ctrl-G once "unhangs"), but thought
> I'd mention it here. LMK if you'd prefer a separate bug report and
> I'll create one.

Just an update. I've played with this for a while. I could reproduce,
and I also know where it hangs. It is accept-process-output of the Tramp
process which tries to view the file you have clicked on, vs
accept-process-output of the compile process. Both don't cooperate
sufficiently, and both hang.

I have no idea (yet) how to solve. One idea would be to start the
compilation process in another thread, but this will raise other
problems. There is some WIP to make Tramp thread-safe, but this is
stalled ATM.

> Thanks again for fixing the main hanging issue!
> Duncan.

Best regards, Michael.