Subject: bug#45518: Ctrl-G Fails to Interrupt Hung Tramp Remote-Compile in Emacs 27.1

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 10:02:44 +0100

Duncan Greatwood <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Duncan,

> I hadn't thought of FreeBSD, but, since it's said that parts of macos
> originated with FreeBSD it was a smart idea... glad it worked!

I'm still fighting with FreeBSD Emacs to get it debugged after
blocking. But Tramp 2.5.0 has a new feature called "direct async
processes", which is an optimization for process calls in some
environments. I've tried it here, and indeed, Emacs does not block when
compiling the remote example.

You could try it yourself. Eval

(add-to-list 'tramp-connection-properties
             (list (regexp-quote "/ssh:user@host:")
                   "direct-async-process" t))

on a fresh Emacs instance, before you connect to
remote. "/ssh:user@host:" must be adapted, of course. See

(info "(tramp) Improving performance of asynchronous remote processes")

for details (this require the info file from Tramp 2.5.0).

> Thanks again!

Best regards, Michael.