Subject: bug#45515: closed (Re: bug#45515: 28.0.50; [feature/native-comp] emacsGcc crash on Apple Silicon M1)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2021 21:12:02 +0000

Your bug report

#45515: 28.0.50; [feature/native-comp] emacsGcc crash on Apple Silicon M1

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
45515: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=45515
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#45515: 28.0.50; [feature/native-comp] emacsGcc crash on Apple Silicon M1
From: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
To: mp <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2021 21:11:16 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

mp <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Hi Michal,
>>
>> I've merged latest master into native-comp.  Do you still see this
>> issue on 5db5064395?
>>
>>    Andrea
>>
> Hi Andrea,
>
> After merging the latest master, it looks good so far.

Nice, I'm closing this for now, we can always reopen in case.

> It also appears to be running faster, but not as fast as a regular
> emacs (non native-comp) compiled for Apple architecture. Which runs
> about 10x faster!
>
> Not sure if it is possible to compile the native-comp for Apple at
> this point..?

I think we'll probably have to wait GCC 12.

  Andrea

Subject: 28.0.50; [feature/native-comp] emacsGcc crash on Apple Silicon M1
From: michal panoch <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2020 21:57:44 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

hi,

i'm on the new Apple Silicon M1 architecture and using nix emacs-overlay - https://github.com/nix-community/emacs-overlay/

like this: ~/.config/nixpkgs/overlays/emacs.nix

import (builtins.fetchTarball {
  url = https://github.com/nix-community/emacs-overlay/archive/master.tar.gz;
})

install whith:

$ nix-env -iA nixpkgs.emacsGcc

it compiles no problem. it runs and bytecompiles everything no problem, but after a while it crashes with:

Assertion failed: (mach_vm_map(mach_task_self(), &address, size, 0, VM_FLAGS_ANYWHERE | VM_MAKE_TAG(VM_MEMORY_COREGRAPHICS_BACKINGSTORES), port, 0, false, prot, prot, VM_INHERIT_SHARE) == KERN_SUCCESS), function backing_map, file /AppleInternal/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/SkyLight/SkyLight-569.6/SkyLight/Services/Windows/CGSBackingStore.c, line 192. Fatal error 6: Aborted [1] 2319 abort emacs --fg-daemon

any idea how to investigate?

uname -a:
Darwin mpm.local 20.2.0 Darwin Kernel Version 20.2.0: Wed Dec  2 20:40:21 PST 2020; root:xnu-7195.60.75~1/RELEASE_ARM64_T8101 arm64

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin20.2.0, NS appkit-2022.20 Version 10.16 (Build 20C69))
Repository revision: 87f6e937995c433825173fb0473a801791d5beac
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2022
System Description:  macOS 11.1

Configured using:
 'configure
 --prefix=/nix/store/9rsfjqclzwgsh63szkdb6mn2572pv9zi-emacs-gcc-20201217.0
 --disable-build-details --with-modules --with-ns
 --disable-ns-self-contained --with-nativecomp
 CFLAGS=-DMAC_OS_X_VERSION_MAX_ALLOWED=101200'

Configured features:
JPEG TIFF PNG RSVG GLIB NOTIFY KQUEUE ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS MODULES NATIVE_COMP THREADS JSON PDUMPER

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source eieio eieio-core eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json map text-property-search time-date mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils comp
comp-cstr warnings subr-x rx cl-extra help-mode easymenu seq cl-seq
byte-opt cl-macs gv jka-compr cl-loaddefs cl-lib bytecomp byte-compile
cconv iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util
term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face pcase macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty
make-network-process nativecomp emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 85548 8869)
 (symbols 48 7929 1)
 (strings 32 23659 2908)
 (string-bytes 1 870425)
 (vectors 16 15702)
 (vector-slots 8 305764 19876)
 (floats 8 31 37)
 (intervals 56 198 0)
 (buffers 984 11))