Subject: bug#45502: [PATCH] Prettier key bindings in NS menu entries

From: Daniel Martín <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2020 23:46:36 +0100

Mattias Engdegård <[email-masked]> writes:

> The NS port shows key bindings in a rather cluttered way, with the key
> in brackets directly after the menu entry. The Mac port of Emacs is
> much neater with the bindings all aligned at a common tab position. We
> could do the same, but having done some experiments I actually prefer
> a right-alignment of the keys. Proof-of-concept patch attached.
>
> The alignment is made by padding with spaces, and then with hair
> spaces for extra precision; the result is not perfect but probably
> better than what we have now. If I get some time, I might do an
> experiment with more precise formatting.

Thanks for the patch! It crashed Emacs when I tried to open the Gnus
menu bar (the Gnus menu bar is an extreme case with lots of bindings).

I'm not sure if left-alignment or right-alignment would be better.  To
improve visuals, Apple seems to align with respect to the ⌘ symbol, but
that doesn't fit Emacs well because there's no single modifier that is
used in almost every keybinding (some use Control, some Meta).  Also,
it's not uncommon in Emacs to have keybindings that are a couple of
keymaps deep.