Subject: Re: bug#45444: depmod: ERROR: could not open directory /lib/modules/5.10.2-gnu

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2020 22:57:27 +0100

Hi Jonathan,

Jonathan Brielmaier 写道：
> depmod doesn't seem to be happy about our paths...

...and?  :-)

Would I be correct if I guessed that you're using some third-party 
script/how-to that thinks it should run depmod?  That's not 
generally true.  It's also incompatible with (or, irrelevant on) 
Guix by design.  With any system with a read-only root fs, in 
fact.  *points at cloud*  I wonder what depmod does on such 
systems.

  $ sudo depmod -b /run/booted-system/kernel
  depmod: ERROR: 
  openat(/run/booted-system/kernel/lib/modules/5.10.0-r3-16.2429ba5-X230, 
  modules.dep.32260.31994.1609018567, 301, 644): Read-only file 
  system

Followed by about ten more similar errors.  Do we care?  Why?

Thanks for starting the discussion,

T G-R