Subject: Re: bug#45443: 28.0.50; Can't find definition of compilation--message->loc

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2020 00:38:17 -0500

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > It's a general problem with uses of cl-defstruct and similar
  > constructs: they generate functions and macros that the Help functions
  > are unable to find.  In this case, see this part of compile.el:

  >   (cl-defstruct (compilation--message

What causes the problem?  There has to be a way to fix it.

Does the fact that the defining form name does not start with `def'
have anything to do with it?  We could call it `def-cl-struct'.

There is also this:

            (:conc-name compilation--message->))

Years have taught me that enabling a definition to be a little shorter
by making names by concatenation is a bad idea.  It makes the code
harder to understand because there are references to these names that
you can't find with simple searching.

Is there a way to rewrite that definition so it does not concatenate
names?

If there is none, can we create one?

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)