Subject: bug#45432: Use both --include and --exclude at the same time

From: Jim Meyering <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2021 09:55:48 -0800

tags 45432 moreinfo
stop

On Fri, Dec 25, 2020 at 8:57 AM Fred .Flintstone <[email-masked]> wrote:
> It seems --exclude does nothing when --include is used. It would be useful
> to be able to use both together, in order to do things such as recusively
> grepping files of a certain file extension while excluding certain
> directories.
>
> Example:
> $ grep --recursive --include="*.cs" --exclude="*/tests/*"

Can you provide a complete example showing a malfunction?
You've probably already read this from "info grep", but see also
the description of --exclude there:

‘--include=GLOB’
     Search only files whose name matches GLOB, using wildcard matching
     as described under ‘--exclude’.  If contradictory ‘--include’ and
     ‘--exclude’ options are given, the last matching one wins.  If no
     ‘--include’ or ‘--exclude’ options match, a file is included unless
     the first such option is ‘--include’.