Subject: bug#45432: Use both --include and --exclude at the same time

From: "Paul Jackson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2021 00:51:43 -0600

Being an old school geek, I recommend using the "find" command,
perhaps piped to "xargs grep", to control which files to grep.

The find command has a more general syntax for logically choosing
files, by any property of name, path or stat fields, with possible nested
and, or and not predicates, as needed.

However ... I learned how to use find, xargs and grep long before grep
had any such options as --include and --exclude, so I should probably
be ignored as not contributing to the current discussion.

Carry on ... <chuckle>.

P.S. -- Best use "find -print0" and "xargs -0", in order to avoid some
ancient and regrettable nasty irregularities in how xargs otherwise
handles embedded spaces and unbalanced quotation marks in the
input stream.

See my xargs wrapper for a convenient workaround for this nastiness:
http://thepythoniccow.us/x.c.txt

-- 
                Paul Jackson
                [email-masked]