Subject: Re: bug#4543: window-full-height-p

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 11:45:54 +0200

>> When I have two side-by-side windows and toggle scroll-bar-mode the
 >> frame resizes by exactly the same amount as if it had only one window.
 >> So the size available for displaying text within windows changes
 >> relatively to the number of side-by-side window I have when toggling
 >> scroll-bar mode.  This is not reasonable.  I'd prefer the frame size to
 >> not change at all when I toggle scroll-bar-mode.  If it is supposed to
 >> change, then all windows would have to change their total width too.
 >
 > Yes, that's clearly not the right behavior.  If you want to change
 > things so that the scrollbar&fringes are counted in "windows" but not in
 > "frames" to try and avoid these problems, feel free to try.

Scroll bars and fringes _are_ counted in the "windows" code and do not
affect the frame size.  Otherwise changing scroll bars in a single
window frame would resize the frame as well, just try

(set-window-scroll-bars nil 200 'right)

and see that the frame width remains alone.  So the only problem I see
is with change_frame_size.

martin