Subject: Re: bug#45428: 27.1; (quote (quote (quote ...))) unexpectedly works as anonymous face

From: Markus Triska <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2020 09:38:32 +0100

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

> My 2c differ.  To me this is just a bug, and should be
> fixed.  The behavior should follow the doc.  More
> importantly, it should follow the general behavior of
> Lisp evaluation.  Why would we treat '''foo, '''''foo,
> etc. the same as 'foo?  The answer is that we wouldn't,
> generally, and we don't.

I agree with this. Is there any other place in Emacs where '''X is
treated the same as 'X? As far as I can tell, this seems quite specific
to faces. How is this happening? Is there special logic in Emacs that
enables this, and is it used for other parts too?

In my own configuration and Emacs Lisp programs, I would strongly prefer
to rely only on documented features of Emacs, and I would like Emacs to
at least warn me if my code starts to rely on features that are not
officially supported and hence may change more readily in the future.

All the best,
Markus