Subject: bug#45404: kiwix-desktop does not start

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2020 13:33:24 +0100

Hello Guix,

kiwix-desktop doesn't start. Depending on the environment, I get
different error messages:

Variant #A (pure environment, in GDM session)
$ guix time-machine --commit=20a687bbfbc72ffcd802b4bc59db344ad4291577
environment --ad-hoc --pure kiwix-desktop -- kiwix-desktop

> No protocol specified
> qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display :1
> qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even
> though it was found.
> This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could
be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.
>
> Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl,
> offscreen, vnc, xcb.
>
> Aborted

Not sure what's going on here, but here's a GDB backtrace:

Breakpoint 1, 0x00007fffed1e5a90 in abort ()
   from /gnu/store/fa6wj5bxkj5ll1d7292a70knmyl7a0cr-glibc-
2.31/lib/libc.so.6
(gdb) bt
#0  0x00007fffed1e5a90 in abort ()
   from /gnu/store/fa6wj5bxkj5ll1d7292a70knmyl7a0cr-glibc-
2.31/lib/libc.so.6
#1  0x00007fffed78ba2f in QMessageLogger::fatal(char const*, ...) const
()
   from /gnu/store/lg0pz5wvpfd5xq3qhmarq3p4nqi64hdd-qtbase-
5.14.2/lib/libQt5Core.so.5
#2  0x00007fffee44c8f4 in
QGuiApplicationPrivate::createPlatformIntegration() ()
   from /gnu/store/lg0pz5wvpfd5xq3qhmarq3p4nqi64hdd-qtbase-
5.14.2/lib/libQt5Gui.so.5
#3  0x00007fffee44cdbd in
QGuiApplicationPrivate::createEventDispatcher() ()
   from /gnu/store/lg0pz5wvpfd5xq3qhmarq3p4nqi64hdd-qtbase-
5.14.2/lib/libQt5Gui.so.5
#4  0x00007fffed994905 in QCoreApplicationPrivate::init() ()
   from /gnu/store/lg0pz5wvpfd5xq3qhmarq3p4nqi64hdd-qtbase-
5.14.2/lib/libQt5Core.so.5
#5  0x00007fffee44e95c in QGuiApplicationPrivate::init() ()
   from /gnu/store/lg0pz5wvpfd5xq3qhmarq3p4nqi64hdd-qtbase-
5.14.2/lib/libQt5Gui.so.5
#6  0x00007fffeeb4832e in QApplicationPrivate::init() ()
   from /gnu/store/lg0pz5wvpfd5xq3qhmarq3p4nqi64hdd-qtbase-
5.14.2/lib/libQt5Widgets.so.5
#7  0x000000000045a84c in ?? ()
#8  0x00000000004333d6 in ?? ()
#9  0x0000000000422d30 in ?? ()
#10 0x00007fffed1d0a6d in __libc_start_main ()
   from /gnu/store/fa6wj5bxkj5ll1d7292a70knmyl7a0cr-glibc-
2.31/lib/libc.so.6
#11 0x00000000004236ea in ?? ()

Variant #B (installed in user profile, in GDM session)

$ kiwix-desktop

> Could not find QtWebEngineProcess

Greetings,
Maxime