Subject: Re: bug#45402: Rename Tramp method "media"

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2020 09:52:30 +0100

Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Kévin,

> I might be missing something, but it seems to me like there is a rather
> large design space for opt-in, backward-compatible ways to disambiguate
> Tramp methods: off the top of my head, I could imagine e.g. a variable
> (say "tramp-implicit-methods") which

There are people who use Tramp, and there are people who don't. For the
latter, there is tramp-mode. Setting it to nil makes Tramp silent, in
all aspects.

Customizing which Tramp methods shall be used for completion is too
complicate for the majority of users I believe.

> Or we could go the opposite route, with e.g. tramp-explicit-methods (nil
> by default), which in the context of this report could be set to
> '("media") so that /media can complete to /media/$USER, and users would
> be required to type out /trampmedia: explicitly.

This exists already. Remove the "media" entry from tramp-methods, and
you're done.

Best regards, Michael.