Subject: Re: bug#45402: Rename Tramp method "media"

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2020 09:44:55 +0100

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Drew,

> But even a prefix of "t" might be sufficient to
> usually distinguish Tramp's protocol names.  In
> this case, ~//tmedia would mean Tramp's protocol
> and ~//media would mean (change to) local
> directory /media.

Until now, it is just the "media" method which is too close to a
directory name. And this can simply be avoided; taking "media" off the
default values of tramp-gvfs-methods would deactivate it; users who want
to exploit it must activate it first.

But currently I'm thinking about Kévin's arguments to call it "mtp". It
was also my first choice, but I wanted to be fair to the "gphoto2" method.

> Yeah, it's ugly.  But the Tramp syntax is
> apparently inherently ambiguous here (i.e., can
> conflict with a dir name).

This will always be the case. Once I got a bug report from a user, who
wanted to access a local directory "/ssh:example.com/", see
bug#31489. Achhhh ...

Best regards, Michael.