Subject: bug#45402: Rename Tramp method "media"

From: Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2020 00:38:11 +0100

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

> It's no doubt too late now, at least in general,
> but maybe it would make sense to use a prefix
> for Tramp, kind of like what we do for libraries.

I might be missing something, but it seems to me like there is a rather
large design space for opt-in, backward-compatible ways to disambiguate
Tramp methods: off the top of my head, I could imagine e.g. a variable
(say "tramp-implicit-methods") which

- could default to t, meaning:

> always assume that /foo can actually mean /trampfoo for all foo's
> supported by Tramp

- could be set to a list of commonly used Tramp methods, e.g. '("ssh"
  "sudoedit"), meaning:

> when I type /ssh, assume that I can mean /trampssh; otherwise if I
> type /foo assume that I never mean /trampfoo

- could be set to nil, meaning:

> when I type /foo, I *never* mean /trampfoo for any foo supported by
> Tramp; I will always type out /trampfoo:

Or we could go the opposite route, with e.g. tramp-explicit-methods (nil
by default), which in the context of this report could be set to
'("media") so that /media can complete to /media/$USER, and users would
be required to type out /trampmedia: explicitly.