Subject: Re: bug#45402: Rename Tramp method "media"

From: Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 23:11:46 +0100

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

> (Internally, the GVFS methods mtp and gphoto2 are used. Although I have
> sympathy for the name mtp, it would be wrong wrt gphoto2.)

Going by Wikipedia, maybe /mtp: isn't too off-target?

> gPhoto has support for the Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP) and will
> also connect to devices that use the Media Transfer Protocol (MTP).
— https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPhoto

> Whereas PTP was designed for downloading photographs from digital
> cameras, Media Transfer Protocol allows the transfer of music files on
> digital audio players and media files on portable media players, as
> well as personal information on personal digital assistants.
— https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol

I have no expertise whatsoever about these protocols; I only learned
about them just now.  Are there users we could poll to find a method
name that makes sense?  I've looked at 2020-01-22 "Add new Tramp method
"media"" (2d9d62bb24), but I could not see any bug ID, so I don't know
who we could turn to.