Subject: Re: bug#45402: 28.0.50; new completion inconvenience

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 20:31:32 +0100

Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]> writes:

>> But why do you type "/med TAB" instead of "med TAB"?
>
> The assumption, I believe, is that the target folder is under /media/,
> while the initial prompt is "~/".  Starting with a slash causes the
> initial prompt to be "greyed out" (i.e. rendered ineffectual unless the
> user backspaces).

Oh, I see.  I thought Richard wanted to get to a directory called
~/media/.

> As Richard explained in <[email-masked]>, some
> GNU/Linux distros mount external media under /media/$USER, so typing
> /med TAB greys out the initial ~/ and used to complete to /media/$USER
> (if $USER is the only folder under /media).  Now users need to type an
> additional slash to disambiguate from "/media:".

Yup; I've also got a /media/ directory, and I see the same thing.
/media/ is a common directory on many systems -- would it make sense to
rename the Tramp method to something other than media:?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no