Subject: bug#45402: 28.0.50; new completion inconvenience

From: Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 12:20:09 +0100

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Richard Stallman <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> My default directory is ~/ and I tyoe C-x C-f /med TAB.
>>
>> It used to give me ~//media/.  Another TAB would give me
>> ~//media/rms/.
>
> But why do you type "/med TAB" instead of "med TAB"?

The assumption, I believe, is that the target folder is under /media/,
while the initial prompt is "~/".  Starting with a slash causes the
initial prompt to be "greyed out" (i.e. rendered ineffectual unless the
user backspaces).

> And I'm unable to reproduce the behaviour you're describing in older
> Emacs versions -- I tried this in Emacs 25.1, and `C-x C-f /med TAB'
> just gives me "No match", even if ~/media exists.

As Richard explained in <[email-masked]>, some
GNU/Linux distros mount external media under /media/$USER, so typing
/med TAB greys out the initial ~/ and used to complete to /media/$USER
(if $USER is the only folder under /media).  Now users need to type an
additional slash to disambiguate from "/media:".