Subject: bug#45402: 28.0.50; new completion inconvenience

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 12:06:52 +0100

Richard Stallman <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Richard,

>   > This is Tramp indeed. It knows a new method "media", which is in the way
>   > now for you.
>
> This is an unfortunate choice of name.  GNU/Linux (at least some distros)
> automounts disks and memories under /media, which means that this Tramp
> method name is going to collide regularly.
>
> How about if we look at changing the name in Tramp.  Can you see
> another name that fits what it does?

Makes sense, yes.

> (What does it do?)

It gives you file access to USB mounted media devices, like digital
cameras, Android and i(Pad)OS devices. Usually, those devices do not
appear locally under /media, that's why I have added them in Tramp.

The mount protocols are different depending on the device, they could be
"mtp" or "gphoto2". In order to hide these details, I have chosen the
Tramp connection method "media", which DTRT for whichever protocol. What
different Tramp connection name shall I use instead? I'm notorious bad
in selecting proper names.

Best regards, Michael.