Subject: Re: Where are the menu sub-items?

From: David Reitter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 14:53:58 -0400

On Sep 22, 2009, at 6:35 PM, Adrian Robert wrote:

>
> On Sep 22, 2009, at 5:24 PM, David Reitter wrote:
>
>> And one more bit of information:  the missing menu issue only  
>> occurs when I run Emacs in VNC (Apple's VNC).  When I run it  
>> locally, 10.5.8 poses no problems.
>
> You could try commenting out the "|| handling_signal != 0" line 583  
> in nsmenu.c.  That's the simplest thing I can think of that could  
> lead to all menus having empty contents.  If that is the problem,  
> the solution is to merge in the menu event handling code from  
> Yamamoto Mitsuharu's "Carbon-AppKit" emacs.  I've not tackled this  
> due to it being a big, messy merge, and uncertainty about the  
> frequency of problems without it.

Just ran this in the debugger real quick.

handling_signal is 0 as it should be.

I looked at a call to ns_update_menubar with deep_p ==0; it seems that  
it's thinking that there was no change so it won't update the menu.
It does it once, in the beginning, though, where it seems to correctly  
add the menus (but not the submenus).

Where does it actually do the submenus when the time comes?

- D