Subject: bug#45368: closed (Re: [bug#45368] [PATCH core-updates 0/3] Help2man updates)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 19:46:02 +0000

Your bug report

#45368: [PATCH core-updates 0/3] Help2man updates

which was filed against the guix-patches package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
45368: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=45368
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: [bug#45368] [PATCH core-updates 0/3] Help2man updates
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: Miguel Ángel Arruga Vivas <[email-masked]>
Cc: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 15:45:17 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

Miguel Ángel Arruga Vivas <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the delay.  I've pushed these changes from 4343ca8ba5 to
> cfe606572d, with an additional TODO comment on 378df42fc5 about the
> not-so-translated manual pages.

Cool, closing.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim

Subject: [PATCH core-updates 0/3] Help2man updates
From: Miguel Ángel Arruga Vivas <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2020 14:01:02 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

The following patches do some work on help2man, namely:
1. Allow the generation of localized manual pages.
2. Update the package to the latest version.

To perform the first objective, the library perl-gettext was imported
from CPAN.  Its path is encoded directly on the resulting binary to
ensure it is loaded, as perl and the library should be propagated to the
environment in order to achieve the same result with PERL5LIB.

Nonetheless, currently there are two open issues with this approach:

- The library used for a cross compilation could be different, but the
  generated version is used for its own documentation generation.  Are
  the inputs correctly placed?  Should it be patched on a later stage to
  the final input?

- The compilation tries to generate translated man pages and sets LC_ALL
  to values not available on glibc-utf8-locales, therefore only
  languages available there have their manual page properly translated,
  such as french.  You can see the following lines (and more) on the
  build log, which warn about this issue:
  --------------------------------8<-------------------------------- sh:
  warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (uk_UA.UTF-8) sh:
  warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (vi_VN.UTF-8)
  -------------------------------->8--------------------------------

IMHO, a change on gnu-build-system to allow the selection of the locales
used for the build could be the best way forward, but I haven't
implemented it yet.  WDYT?

Happy hacking!
Miguel