Subject: [bug#45359] bug#47458: Terrible UX upgrading Emacs in Guix

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 10:04:23 +0200

Hello,

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

>> Ouch.  “It used to be” (speaking like a veteran :-)) that Emacs in Guix
>> would not use EMACSLOADPATH.  Then we switched to EMACSLOADPATH, which
>> had some advantages, but necessarily has this drawback.
>>
>> IIUC, <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/45359> is about possibly
>> backtracking.  Maxim, what’s the status of this one?
>
> It's abandoned, The MUMI tracker lacks the responses from Leo Prickler,
> but they had good arguments maintaining the status quo rather than going
> with the extra complexity.  It also wouldn't change the issue at hand;
> it'd merely prevent conflicts of *resources* files of Emacs packages
> (and somewhat integrate with the Emacs native package manager, while
> making the autoloading a bit slower).  It seems the price to pay is too
> high for such a small gain.  I'm closing it now.

I see, makes sense!

> On the other hand, this very problem was the motivation for this patch
> series here: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/43627, which would solve the
> issue ta hand.  You were skeptical of the benefits the last time you
> took a look at it; perhaps it's time to take a new look at it :-).

Ah!  Now I may have to revisit it, indeed.

Thanks for explaining!

Ludo’.