Subject: bug#45357: [PATCH] * lisp/man.el (Man-getpage-in-background): always use shell-file-name

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2020 17:14:23 +0200

> From: Nika Otiashvili <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2020 23:24:13 +0400
> 
> First time sending a patch to bug-gnu-emacs, not sure if this is the
> correct format.
> Please indicate any errors I made in my formatting of the email or the
> attached patch file.

In terms of formatting the patch, I see no problems with your
submission.

My problem is more a conceptual one: it is not trivial to replace
/bin/sh with any other shell, because they work differently.  The
command in question builds a complex shell command to run, and it
isn't obvious that any user shell will be able to run it.

OTOH, every Posix system I know about does have /bin/sh, so I'm
curious what kind of system did you see where /bin/sh is absent.

And finally, I don't think I understand the issue with .bashrc etc.:
if you launch /bin/sh, it is not supposed to process these init files,
they are processed by bash, zsh, and other shells.

Could you please elaborate on the specific problems you had and tell
more about your system configuration where you bumped into these
problems?

Thanks.