Subject: Re: bug#4535: toolkit dependence of frame-height

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 13:45:08 -0400

martin rudalics wrote:

>> Do the menu bar and tool bar always have height 1 and 2 respectively,
>> or are these numbers variable and/or approximate?
>
> It depends on what "always have height 1 and 2" stand for. 

Well, I hadn't thought it through, because lines may have a variable
height. Duh.

And I can increase the buffer font-size many times over without
changing the result of frame-height (or -width), so now I don't
understand what "number of lines available for display" in the doc of
frame-height means.

I guess it means number of lines in units of the default face? So I
guess that's what my original question meant.

> On Windows I can easily make the menubar occupy three "lines" of my
> screen estate. And AFAICT such behavior can make frame-size
> calculations completely random because Emacs (probably due to
> limitations of the Windos API) does not allow me to get the actual
> size of my frame in lines.

I'm not going to be able to document the Windows behaviour in any
case; maybe you'd like to do that?