Subject: 27.1; python-eldoc-setup-code uses obsolete python function

From: Steven De Herdt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2020 00:20:36 +0100

Hello folks

This report concerns eldoc for Python.  I'm using Debian testing, with
Python 3.9, in my daily config I use ipython3 as
python-shell-interpreter.  Every time I place point in the argument list
of a Python function without documentation, the minibuffer expands to
show a warning ("DeprecationWarning: `formatargspec` is deprecated since
Python 3.5. Use `signature` and the `Signature` object directly"), an
unrelated snippet of my code, as well as the intended function signature.

This behaviour can be partly reproduced in a minimal setting with the
attached func.py:
* emacs -Q func.py
* C-u C-c C-p , choose "python3 -i"
* in buffer for func.py: C-c C-c
* place point at argument (13) of the call to func
The DeprecationWarning only shows the first time with python3.  My
ipython3 shows it every time however, that's a bit annoying.  I'm not
sure the repeated warning is an issue with ipython, but the eldoc setup
code would need to upgrade from deprecated functionality anyway.

Maybe I'll try to make python-eldoc-setup-code use inspect.signature if
it annoys me too much. :)

Thanks for all the emacs!
-Steven

In GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.23,
cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2020-11-08, modified by Debian built on x86-ubc-01
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12010000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Mark set
Make dedicated process? (y or n) y
Shell native completion is enabled.
Can’t guess python-indent-offset, using defaults: 4
Sent: #! /usr/bin/python3...
Mark set
user-error: Beginning of history; no preceding item
user-error: End of history; no default available

Configured using:
 'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/27.1/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/27.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils --build
 x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-libsystemd
 --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/27.1/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/27.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils --with-cairo
 --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/emacs-6jKC2B/emacs-27.1+1=.
-fstack-protector-strong
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF
ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD
JSON PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LC_TIME: nl_BE.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Python

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils thingatpt compile
cl-extra help-mode python easymenu tramp-sh tramp tramp-loaddefs
trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell pcomplete
parse-time iso8601 time-date ls-lisp format-spec auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map
seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv comint ring cl-loaddefs
cl-lib ansi-color tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 75346 9259)
 (symbols 48 8919 1)
 (strings 32 26350 2263)
 (string-bytes 1 947097)
 (vectors 16 15081)
 (vector-slots 8 187151 10066)
 (floats 8 55 29)
 (intervals 56 274 0)
 (buffers 1000 15))