Subject: bug#45348: 27.1; python-eldoc-setup-code uses obsolete python function

From: Tomas Nordin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2020 17:19:38 +0100

João Távora <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, Dec 23, 2020, 23:54 Tomas Nordin <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>>
>> Meaning, if there is a docstring, we will not get the call signature,
>> we get that only when there is no docstring. Personally I would prefer
>> the call signature always, like in elisp. Then perhaps when doing C-c
>> C-f (python-eldoc-at-point) show the (full) docstring. But that would be
>> another bug-report I guess.
>>
>
> If you think you can program this, the latest ElDoc allows you to do just
> that. See the docstrings of eldoc-documentation-functions,
> eldoc-documentation-strategy, eldoc-display-functions and other variables
> prefixed eldoc-echo-area. Also see the new interactive command M-x eldoc.
>
> All of those things have been touched recently by me, and I'd appreciate
> the feedback.

OK, thanks. Then we know the API to read up on when it comes to that.

I would be happy to try and help improving the doc support in python.el.
The strategy I would suggest to do that would be

-- C-c C-d         python-describe-at-point

Make this display full documentation akin to C-h f in elisp. Document
this function to do so, currently it is un-documented. And current
effect is to leave the help text in the python shell, which works
sometimes.

-- C-c C-f         python-eldoc-at-point

Make this output the first line of docstring, if there is no docstring
show nothing. This is almost what happens now, only if there is no
docstring the signature is given instead.

-- Automatic help display of objects

Make this show signatures always. (akin to elisp mode).

But I don't know if anybody care to see this happen.

Best regards
--
Tomas