Subject: Re: bug#45340: erc-services.el: Auth-source support for passwords

From: Olivier Certner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2021 10:46:00 +0100

Hi,

Sorry to be late to the party, but what is exactly this bug (and the patch) 
about? I'm asking this because I've been using auth source for NickServ 
passwords for a while now, without any patch. And I just want to make sure 
that this is going to continue to work (of course, I don't mind possibly 
changing some configuration variables if required). I've skimmed through the 
bug report and the patch, and while I see no particular problem there, I 
wonder if some existing things have not been overlooked.

I have `erc-prompt-for-password' set to nil (not `erc-prompt-for-nickserv-
password'), and indeed I get prompted for a NickServ password. At this point, 
I just hit ENTER without entering anything, and my password from auth source 
is automatically picked up. So there seems to be an already existing mechanism 
for getting the password used for NickServ from auth source.

Or is it a confusion on my part, and the introduced functionality is in fact 
different?

Regards.

-- 
Olivier Certner