Subject: Re: bug#45330: 28.0.50; debbugs-gnu: Can't select reports before having started Gnus

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2021 10:06:24 -0800

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I can switch the test to be something more explicit, but how about --
>> bear with me here -- making `gnus-summary-line-format' a group
>> parameter? It's something I've been thinking about for a while. It would
>> be really nice to be able to give different groups different summary
>> appearances. And it would allow Michael and everyone else to use a
>> separate format string for groups like debbugs or whatnot, that are
>> often opened without Gnus actually being running.
>>
>> WDYT?
>
> Uhm...  I think it sounds like a surprising feature.  People set that
> variable from hooks, I think, and I think that's fine without getting
> group parameters involved.

Huh, that's odd, and something I hadn't considered. I wonder if the
hooks would end up running after the group parameter setting. If so, I
don't see why current configurations wouldn't simply continue to work as
they have.

> And I'm rather doubtful that this will fix the problems Michael are
> experiencing.

In debbugs groups or what have you, he would use a summary line format
that didn't include registry-specific functions, only data that was
available by default in the summary buffer.