Subject: Re: [bug#45327] [PATCH] git: Periodically delete least-recently-used cached checkouts.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2020 14:47:13 +0100

Hi,

Guillaume Le Vaillant <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I noticed that my ~/.cache/guix/checkouts directory had accumulated
>> a lot of cruft from channels, playing with ‘--with-branch’ and such,
>> and that it would be nice to clean it up once in a while.
>>
>> This is what this patch does.  It uses the (guix cache) default
>> strategy, which consists in deleting least-recently-used items by
>> looking at their atime.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> How does it behave when the cache is on a file system mounted with the
> 'noatime' option?

I guess the worst that could happen is that checkouts are removed too
frequently (because the atime is not updated), meaning that users find
themselves making full clones more often than we’d like.

Perhaps we could use the mtime instead, since when checkouts are
updated, the mtime is presumably updated too.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.