Subject: Documentation of mouse-wheel-progressive-speed clarification

From: Tomas Nordin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2020 14:28:22 +0100

Hello Emacs

Here is a little documentation improvement I think. The doc of variable
mouse-wheel-progressive-speed says

If non-nil, the faster the user moves the wheel, the faster the scrolling.
Note that this has no effect when ‘mouse-wheel-scroll-amount’ specifies
a "near full screen" scroll or when the mouse wheel sends key instead
of button events.

That explains (the first sentence) the effect when the variable is nil,
the scrolling speed is proportional to the wheel speed. When non-nil,
scrolling speed will increase (progress) the more the wheel is turned.
Isn't it.

Attached is a patch updating the docs of the variable and in info.

GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.5,
cairo version 1.16.0) of 2020-12-12

Best regards
--
Tomas

diff --git a/doc/emacs/frames.texi b/doc/emacs/frames.texi
index f5e2e8d172..57b1add85b 100644
--- a/doc/emacs/frames.texi
+++ b/doc/emacs/frames.texi
@@ -210,7 +210,7 @@ Mouse Commands
 @code{mouse-wheel-scroll-amount} determine where and by how much
 buffers are scrolled.  The variable
 @code{mouse-wheel-progressive-speed} determines whether the scroll
-speed is linked to how fast you move the wheel.  This mode also
+speed is linked to how much you move the wheel.  This mode also
 supports increasing or decreasing the height of the default face, by
 default bound to scrolling with the @key{Ctrl} modifier.

diff --git a/lisp/mwheel.el b/lisp/mwheel.el
index 9fd050fea5..a0941205ba 100644
--- a/lisp/mwheel.el
+++ b/lisp/mwheel.el
@@ -131,7 +131,7 @@ mouse-wheel-scroll-amount
   :version "28.1")

 (defcustom mouse-wheel-progressive-speed t
-  "If non-nil, the faster the user moves the wheel, the faster the scrolling.
+  "If non-nil, the more the user moves the wheel, the faster the scrolling.
 Note that this has no effect when `mouse-wheel-scroll-amount' specifies
 a \"near full screen\" scroll or when the mouse wheel sends key instead
 of button events."